Laboratory Supervisor, Cambridge
|Job title:||Laboratory Supervisor|
|Reporting To:||Laboratory Manager|
|Direct Reports:||Laboratory Assistants|
|Hours Per Week:||45|
|Shift Patterns Associated with Role:||
0800 – 2000
7 day working week / 4 days on, 4 days off
Purpose of the Role
To organise and direct the daily activities of the laboratory. Responsible for supervising the laboratory personnel, conducting and overseeing quality assurance, quality control, together with interpreting lab results.
- Support the Laboratory Manager in the day to day running of the laboratory.
- Act as site lead in the absence of the Laboratory Manager or other senior staff.
- Analyse, supervise and manage all Laboratory Department activities.
- Plan, prepare and supervise laboratory services relating to national standards and organisation’s policies.
- Provide first line supervision of the shift of Laboratory Assistants, guide and manage them in their duties and development.
- Perform analytic, pre and post analytic functions to attain departmental goals and ensure stable conformance by laboratory staff.
- Organising workflow and ensuring that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks.
- Monitoring employee productivity and providing constructive feedback and coaching.
- Setting goals for performance and deadlines that comply with company’s plans and vision.
- Adhere to Laboratory Document Control in line with company guidelines and policies.
- Perform activities to fulfil report requirements and record retention as established by clients and continued accreditation requirements.
- Manage the laboratory shift activities with direction from the Laboratory Manager.
- Analyse and supervise PCR coding and submit lab charges to billing on time.
- Support the procurement team with laboratory purchases including upkeep of inventories, storage and supply usage.
- Manage and resolve administrative and technical problems.
Essential Experience / Qualifications
- Experience managing a small team of Laboratory Technicians or Scientists
- Ability to assess whether samples meet laboratory standards and document any quality issues and ensure materials are properly disposed of
- Proven experience in reviewing and reporting on results in a timely manner including results that require further investigation
- Experience of working within a lab environment and able to follow strict safety guidelines
- Demonstrate competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- The desire to learn new skills and adaptability in what can be a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of individuals
- Experience of preparation of biological samples for testing as appropriate (Describe)
- Candidates should be educated to a degree level, or equivalent in microbiology or a related science subject or have 2-3 years’ experience within a microbiology laboratory (Desirable)
- Holds a confident approach to their role as a functional lead, adapting a leadership style and encouraging others to follow suit
- Passionate on attention to detail and the importance of adhering to SOPs
- Can-Do attitude and work ethic
- Adopts the work ethic and behaviour or working safely and in line with HSE legislation
- Passionate about making a difference
- Problem solver
- Committed to self-development and the development of those around them
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Curious in nature
To apply for this role please send your CV with a covering letter to: HR@circular1.com