|Job title:||Laboratory Manager|
Laboratory Operations Manager
|Travel Required:||Yes, to other sites as and when required. Fuel can be claimed back via internal expenses policy at the statutory rate per mile.|
Purpose of the Role
Responsible for the operational day-to-day management of a Circular1 Health Testing laboratory facility to ensure client contracts are delivered on time and to the highest possible standards and ensuring that lab operations and procedures comply ISO standards (e.g. ISO:15189).
Recruit, lead, and develop the team to ensure the provision of an efficient service to the client.
Develop appropriate KPIs and deliver the service in line with the SLA ensuring continuous improvement wherever possible.
Contribute to the development and management of the health, safety, and quality system, and ensure that all activities are carried out in full compliance with these.
Establish appropriate processes and monitoring in line with quality standards and achieve and maintain ISO accreditation.
Produce necessary reports and analytical data in line with internal requirements for the Board and Executive Team, and externally in line with client/public agency requirements.
Lead on implementing actions from both laboratory internal and external audits and ensure that all corrective actions are carried out in a timely manner.
Responsible for maintaining all laboratory equipment, including the calibration and certifying of instrument performance, in line with operational schedules.
Place consumable orders and manage stock and supplier performance for the lab understanding that this is a key external cost driver.
Troubleshoot procedures to ensure swift problem-solving and continuous improvement across all lab activities.
Conduct regular performance reviews ensuring that team members are developed, and appropriate training and updates are provided to ensure ongoing compliance with internal processes and procedures and external requirements and regulations.
Keep up-to-date with relevant regulatory/legislative/standards changes and ensure that the service is provided in line with contemporary best practice.
Work collaboratively with H&S responsible person to ensure H&S is followed by personnel.
Implement and deliver ISO:15189 procedures in the laboratory.
Identify opportunities for improvement.
Troubleshoot and problem solve issues in the laboratory.
Responsibility for the rota and resource of the laboratory.
Accountability for delivery of customer contracts on time through wider lab team.
Ensure equipment is fit for purpose and performing correctly.
Ensure environmental monitoring of lab is performed and monitored.
Essential Experience / Qualifications
- Proven experience of developing a team
- Honours Degree in Life Sciences/Biomedical Science
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of molecular biology work
- Good Laboratory Practise
- Good Management Practice
- Knowledge of finance and purchasing software and processes
- Holds a strong understanding of the relevant regulations and standards – in particular ISO9001, ISO17025 or ISO15189
- Masters in relevant subject area (Desirable)
- HCPC/IBMS registered (Desirable)
- Lean management and project management in a laboratory environment (Desirable).
- Experience of working within a Clinical Biochemistry laboratory (desirable)
- Experience of working to ISO:17025 (desirable)
- Experience of setting up and validating biomarker assays (desirable)
- Holds a confident approach to their role as a functional lead, adapting a leadership style and encouraging others to follow suit
- Passionate on attention to detail and the importance of adhering to SOPs
- Can-Do attitude and work ethic
- Adopts the work ethic and behaviour or working safely and in line with HSE legislation
- Passionate about making a difference
- Problem solver
- Committed to self-development and the development of those around them
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Curious in nature
To apply for this role please send your CV with a covering letter to: [email protected]